Saturday, November 23, 2013

Sister update!

 Over a month ago I left you hanging regarding my new sister, Sister J.

We had a really great first meeting at our mom's place.  Our traditional pancakes and peameal bacon breakfast.

Sister J and looks a lot like my mom, and I look a lot like her.  Sister J is darker, and shorter.  Mom says she takes after my opa.

Our first visit was really nice, we all chatted very well.  Amazingly we have a lot in common.  We both knit, and we both want to own alpacas!  My mom noticed certain gestures, and ways we speak that are similar too.  Part of it I'm sure is generational, we're only 4 years apart, and, although Sister J didn't grow up in Toronto, she did grow up close.  But some of her similarities are with my mom too, very cool.  Brings up the whole nature vs. nurture thing!
Since our first meeting early October we've gotten together a handful of times.  We had a sister Brunch, with Sarah's wife (who will be now known as ... just to confuse you dear readers, Sister K!  HA!)  Sister J brought over, with a friend, a bunch of maternity and baby clothes her firend was getting rid of, and we all had tea.  There was my baby shower.  As well as Lunch and an afternoon of crafting.

We seem to be able to be comfortable just sitting and crafting and not forcing chatter.  It was really nice to hang out.

So, how did we find each other?  The magic of facebook.  Sister J had mommy's info, her name, birthday, hometown.  Except, mom spells her last name differently now.  BUT my Uncle Jim still spells it how it got changed once my oma and opa changed it to make life easier.  Sister J found Uncle Jim on facebook.  A friend decided they look alike.  I am connected to Uncle Jim as niece.  Sister J and I look alike.  I am connected to Mommy.  Sister J messaged me.  IN APRIL.  It got put in the 'other' folder in the facebook inbox.  Did you know that that exists?  yup.  I bet you've been missing messages.  Maybe not as epic as my find...but you never know.  So I gave her mommy's info (with permission) and blammo, a few weeks later we where meeting.

And how am I feeling you ask?  After the initial shock, and it was a good, exciting shock, it's really really nice to have more family.  Esp. family you knew where out there.  It's also nice to have new family that you like!
I sometimes find it odd.  I'm not the oldest!  lol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment