Wednesday, February 2, 2011

leaning into fear

WHAT THE HECK does that mean?  Lean into fear, discomfort, vulnerability...
what does that mean?

O.K., break it down:
what is it meant by leaning into?
Do they mean go with it?  Rather than push away?  Don't fight it?

"Instead of running away from the things that frighten you, instead of avoiding the uncomfortable situation, instead of not looking into the unknown, lean into your fear.
Get on the airplane and face the fear. You’ll overcome it.Take the leap and move to a foreign country. You’ll never regret it.
Ask your boss for a raise. You’ll thank yourself.
Have the conversation you’ve been afraid of. You’ll be a better person for it.
Take a deep breath. Pat your own hand reassuringly.
Lean into the fear.
Once you’ve looked into it, it will vanish. And you’ll see it for all it is – fear.
As a friend of mine says, kiss that monster on the nose."

When I think of leaning into my fear, discomfort, vulnerability, I think of my cousin Minna, who I used to baby sit when she was 5.  She wasn't openly affectionate, but once comfortable, she'd sometimes kinda lean into you.  I'm not trying to make a parable/anecdote here,  it's just what I think of when someone says "lean into your ______"  and maybe it is an anecdote.  Minna was adopted from China.  She was in foster care, and her foster mom carried her everywhere, so when she got here she didn't know how to walk...maybe her fear is she'll be taken away from a person she loves again, so she doesn't want to get close...or maybe I'm thinking too hard.  lol

I also envision an Elephant leaning into another Elephant...

I suppose one needs to learn how to lean into love too.

I'd love to hear what you have to say about "leaning into ____"

No comments:

Post a Comment