Friday, February 22, 2013

only a few days left to help!

I posted a bit ago about my friend Nate, and his movie Start Local.

They've got 7 more days on their fund-raising campaign, and if you could donate, that would be fab.  $5000 would be AMAZING.  But $5 is too.  They break down what the money is going to be used for on the indiegogo page (link is the different coloured words just above)


And on *that* note.  I've decided to join Ashley and Nate on their local living initiative.
We are all dipping our toes in right now.  Testing the waters, and figuring things out. 
What are the rules?!?

In the month of July, we will be living 100% local.

From now until then we'll be figuring out what exactly does 'local' mean?

Am I only allowed to watch CBC and CTV?  Listen to Toronto bands?  ONLY BE FRIENDS WITH PEOPLE WHO GREW UP HERE!?  What tooth paste do I use?  or can I just buy it from my mom and pop shop?  What if I need underwear in July?  I buy that at big box store.  Are there independent retailers that sell underwear?

I don't want to 'cheat' and buy up all the things I'll need before July.

I'll be chronicling things I discover here.

And just exactly *why* am I doing this?  What inspired me?  1st is Nate's passion for what he does.  He's pretty inspiring.  But as for this project?  Supporting my community first is important.  It has been for a while, but I've never explored it.  There is a reason people like small towns, and we need to make the effort to preserve that feeling.  I live in a BIG city.  Our neighbourhoods though, are small towns. I want to support my small towns, and the people who bust their butts to do something they believe in, rather than work at big box store.  (says the girl who works at Starbucks)

So here we go.  Lets see what we see!

1 comment:

  1. Kudos to you for being one of the first to jump on board! This is what this movie is all about. I try very hard to live local - although I'm far from perfect. I own a small business in Midland and we have jumped on board with Nate & Ashley and are helping out as much as we can. I look forward to hearing about your own experience with it! Cheers! Karianne Copeland

    ReplyDelete