Monday, April 14, 2014

Easter Eggs

The other day I received a note from my grandma.  It had instructions on how to make Easter eggs!

Doesn't she have lovely writing?

"Dear Rebecca:

    I thought you might like this recipe for "Easter eggs".
        White uncooked eggs
        Brown onion skins
        Tepid water
        Cloth - size to cover egg
    Put onion skins in tepid water to soften and make pliable.
    Cover uncooked egg with skins.
    Cover with cloth to keep skins in place.
    Tie cloth around egg
    Hard boil eggs in cloth
    Cool to handle - then uncover
    Now you have (light) brown goldy eggs, all motley and quite pretty.
          This is a recipe from your great great grandmother.
          Try it, have fun.

                   Love from
                             Grandma G.
                                          xxx "

I did as instructed.  I used both brown and red onion skins.  I used cheese cloth and twist ties to cover eggs.  I'm sure that's what my great great grandmother used too.  Well, cheese cloth, not green twist ties.

I had to look up how to hard boil eggs again.

Cover the eggs in a pot with cool water.  Bring to a boil.  Turn off water and let sit for 12 minutes.  Worked like a charm.  No green yolk!

Happy Easter!


the top 2 are the red onion skin, and the bottom 2 are the brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment